Shakshuka; Tomatoes, Beans and Eggs
This is a really tasty North African and Middle Eastern breakfast dish, Shakshuka is a one-pot dish of yummy-ness with tomatoes and eggs being the main ingredients.
A low-fat, vegetarian dish packed with protein to keep you full for longer, yet only 270 calories per serve.
- 1 onion (peeled and finely diced)
- drizzle of oil for frying (such as Rice Bran Oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 red chilli (deseeded and finely chopped) – Optional
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 red capsicum (deseeded and diced)
- 1 yellow capsicum (deseeded and diced)
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin of canellini or mixed beans (drained)
- 100g fresh spinach leaves (roughly chopped)
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 50g Feta cheese, crumbled
- fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Drizzle oil over the bottom of a heavy based frypan and heat.
- Fry the onion, cumin and fennel seeds over a medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until the onion is soft. If the onions start to burn or the pan becomes too dry, add some water.
- Add the garlic and chilli and cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes, then add the smoked paprika and capsicum and fry until they are just soft.
- Stir in the lemon zest and tinned tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes
- Make 4 wells in the tomato and bean sauce and crack an egg into each well; Cook for 5 to 7 minutes uncovered and then 2 to 3 minutes covered until the egg whites have set but the egg yolks are still runny.
- Serve with the crumbled feta cheese scattered over the top along with the chopped fresh coriander.