Salmon and Sauce:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 large red capsicum chopped
- 1 – 2 rashes of bacon (nitrate free if possible) – optional
- 1 large tin of salmon or 3 pieces of boneless salmon doesn’t matter if the skin is on, as it can easily be removed during cooking
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. tomato puree/paste – check it’s gluten free if required
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp sugar – optional
- 3 tbsp double/heavy cream or sour cream
- 300 g dried pasta – my favourite is fettuncine, but anything works (gluten free if required)
- 1 large zucchini
- Grated parmesan or mature cheddar cheese
- Fresh dill, coriander (great for chelating mercury out of fish) or basil roughly chopped. Rocket is also lovely with this dish.
- Put a large pan of water on to boil for your pasta.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the onions and bacon (if using). Cook on a medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Next add the garlic and red pepper and cook for 2 minutes. At this point your water should be boiling. Add the pasta and cook on a gentle simmer for 12-13 minutes.
- Add the salmon to the pan (skin side down if it has skin) and turn the heat up to high. Pour in the tin of chopped tomatoes. Add the tomato puree, thyme and sugar. Give everything a gentle stir and when it starts to bubble, turn the heat down to medium – allowing the salmon to cook in the simmering sauce.
- Whilst the sauce is simmering, use your spiralizer to spiralize the zucchini.
- Check on your salmon. After about 5-6 minutes of simmering, turn the salmon over (if using a fillet). At this point, if the salmon has skin, you can remove it using a pair of tongs and a fork. Break the salmon up a little bit to help it cook faster.
- After another 5 minutes of simmering, move the salmon to one side of the pan, take the pan off the heat and very carefully (so you don’t get splashed) use a hand blender to blend half of the sauce. Add the cream, mix and put back on the heat.
- Add the zucchini noodles to the pasta pan for the last minute of cooking, then drain and divide between four bowls.
- Spoon the salmon and sauce on top of the spaghetti and serve with a sprinkle of grated cheese and chopped herbs or rocket. A green salad or cooked asparagus are great accompaniments.